Saturday, December 04, 2004


Here's my Jackson! He's named after the best burger joint in the world... Jackson Hole in New York. I not only shot this myself, but I actually used photoshop to touch it up and remove a string from one of Michael's sweatpants. Mike was cleaning out his drawers and left the room for a moment. The minute he did, Jackson hopped right in the open drawer and made himself comfortable. This pic reminds me that there are opportunities all around us for exploration, and no matter where we find ourselves, we should do our very best to make ourselves at home, and make no apologies for doing so.
It's been a good week, though I wouldn't have predicted that last weekend. The break was so wonderful, and I wasn't looking forward to returning to the stressful routine I've grown accustomed to. However, I was surprised to find that I jumped right back in it. I did okay with PC being gone. Of course she's my friend and I often miss her presence in the office, but I keep so busy that I don't have time to dwell on it. My productivity is maximized now, and it feels good to accomplish so much in an eight-hour day. I was asked to attend a meeting this week and give a brief presentation. I had about 24hrs to prepare for it, but I decided to maximize the opportunity. I developed some packets of information and went about it as professionally as possible. My boss left me a note of praise for my preparation and professionalism after the fact. It probably made my week! So Friday I was taking a short break with one of my co-workers who I often discuss philosophy with. I found myself saying, "I feel like I'm in a good place right now." It rang so true, and felt so good to feel that way. Whether it's the Lexies or life in general, I realized that my truest calling is to take joy from what I have and not focus on what life could be "if only..." Italy will always be there, and maybe one day I will be there again. School is tough, but it's not forever. The simple things, like the awesome sunset I witnessed yesterday are fleeting... the sound of my kids laughing... the comfort of the dark with my husband sleeping next to me... the sound of my puppy gentling snoring at my feet... when I can take the time to truly appreciate the goodness of life, I find that I'm in a good place.
You guys... go find your good place today. Look around you at the creature comforts, the smile of your loved ones, or the stimulation of a good read... stand in the sun and let it warm your face... put on your favorite fat-pants and curl up under a blanket... sing in the shower... do something for yourself today. Feed your soul and let it energize you. Life happens RIGHT NOW... not yesterday or tomorrow. When you reach the end, I want you to be able to say that you lived... not functioned...
Posted by Hello