Monday, January 10, 2005

Contemplating Passivism

Today's Bug Juice (as all Bug Juice quotes) is my daily dose of healing elixir that I choose to share with the world. I've decided that as much as I love the peaceful philosophy, I'm not sure I really want to be a passivist. Yesterday was just too much for me... Evangelists blaming the tsunami on Muslims, Mississippi libraries trying to ban John Stewart's book... executives from the Rathergate mess being fired left and right... the death of a trusted mentor... it was all too much. Remember the old adage about the squeeky wheel? What good does passivism DO? Sure, it's far easier to sit back and say, "I'm peacefully opposed to this measure" but all that gets you is a pat on the back from the other passivists around you (a soft, non-bruising pat.)

Problem is, I'm angry! How can I be an angry passivist? I don't believe my anger gives me the right to tell others that they are wrong. I do it - I'll admit - but I don't believe anger is a license to action.

How do I deal with the Coalition of the Righteous? Do I take them on, one by one as my friend Scotty suggests, or do I join forces with others and try have a hand in something of global importance?

I love to blog when I think I've got all the answers, but it's much harder to blog when I'm sure I have none of them.