Monday, November 07, 2005

What? No Theme? No Comedy? No Bitching?

I was trying to think of something to post, and even though I thought about it the better part of my drive home from class, I've come up with exactly nothing. I did promise you something interesting, or at the very least, something. Well, you're getting the very least, and I hope you'll at least give me cab fare before kicking me out of your bed.

Here's the first something: There's going to be a slight change in the timing of my posts. I usually type something up and post it as close to midnight as possible, dating it for the next day. I've begun to realize, as my body has begun to revolt, that I sort of need this strange thing you humans call "sleep". So for at least a while (until the insomnia strikes again) I'll be posting sometime around 10pm, maybe earlier if the benadryl I'm sneaking into my family's food kicks in quickly. I think I'll just come around as the day unwinds and post what I'm thinking or what happened that day. Let's hope it's the former and not the later -- my days are not terribly interesting.

Here's another something: I've been thinking about this blogging thing -- why I started it, what I wanted from it, what it morphed into, and what I want from here on out. I started blogging because I wanted to write stuff -- I just wanted to write. Yeah, I'm weird like that. I like the sound of my own voice, and I like giving my thoughts a voice. Then I discovered this wacky "traffic" thing, which naturally led to this wacky "comment" thing. The next "thing" I know, I'm a comment fisherman. Yep -- I fish for comments. I actually discovered a ratio of blogs visited:comments returned (it's about 3:1 if you want to know). So I'd come home, throw something edible at my children and proceed to work the tables, so to speak.

I'm sick of the comment pond. I actually thought about disabling the comment feature, but I've made some friends, and I like it when they steal my thunder (that's you, Scott aka Purpletwinkie) or tell me they totally GET this 'cause they're exactly the same way, or give me great advice on something that is perplexing as hell.

What I don't like is that I had turned my blog into a fishing pole.

Here's another something: I realized I stopped being me in the sense that I tailored most of my opinions to please as many as possible, while offending as few as possible. If blogging is an outlet or a manner of self-expression, then I've got to stop watering down my feelings and opinions. I just want you to know that if I say or do anything that offends you, feel free to ignore it, or me, or both...OR, feel free to call me a liberal-asshole. Just know that I will take that as a compliment, k? K.