Wednesday, March 23, 2005

On the Other Side of Hope

"It's for the best."

"Everything happens for a reason."

" There is a time and place for everything, and this obviously wasn't the time for that place."

"There will be other opportunities for employment there."

"Hey, it was my first interview and I made it into the top two. That has to bode well for future opportunities."

These are all the things I tell myself. These are the words of positive energy that we mutter in order to keep ourselves from jumping off the roof.

The other side of hope is not despair, it's denial. The other side of hope is jaded. I get up, I get dressed, I drive to my hamster cage, make my coffee, then sit at my desk in my comfortable green chair with spreading room for my ass. The other side of hope is not a comfortable place, but rather a slightly duller, slightly annoying, routine coma of activity.

I am not depressed. I am bored. I am far too intelligent for this mundane atmosphere. I am not challenged... I work with the challenged. I do not ride the short bus, I drive the short bus... and I swear to f-ing God I will drive this bus off a short cliff if ONE SINGLE PERSON ASKS ME ONE SINGLE STUPID QUESTION TODAY. I am in a mood because I drank too much wine last night and haven't had enough coffee this morning.

Go ahead. Ask me a stupid question. I dare you (not you, dear bloggers.)