Wednesday, July 27, 2005

An Open Letter to Melonie

It's recently come to my attention that you've been reading Scott's blog. Now, I'm no narcissist, but I assume that at least ONE of the times he's linked to me, you've given in to curiosity and ventured here. I hope you come 'round today, because I've got something to say to you.

I've made my share of bad judgment calls in my life, and I completely understand crimes of passion and sins of the heart. I also understand that at some point, you have to accept forgiveness and rely on mercy to help you become a better person. Sometimes we do things in our life that we're not proud of, but couldn't/wouldn't change for anything. Believe me, I'm in those shoes and I fully understand. That being said...

You asked my ex-husband, as reported to me by my daughter who was standing in the same small room, what it is that you've "done" that has made me dislike you. You said, "Robin doesn't like me because I'm a homewrecker" and then the two of you shared a hearty laugh. You said, if you knew what it was, you'd apologize for it...you're willing to forgive and forget. That's mighty big of you, Mel. I think that definitely deserves a response, so here it is.

I don't dislike you because of anything you've "done" as much as I dislike you for the person you are.

You see, talking shit about me in the presence of my kid is - well, a very un-likeable action. It's manipulative, and it speaks to your character. Further, it speaks to the fact that you haven't changed one bit. You're still playing middle-school games with peoples' lives, and you're still trying to get what YOU want at the expense of whomever happens to be standing in your path. Why do I say that? Your words, though I'm sure quite sincere (/sarcasm off) didn't necessarily need to be said while my daughter was in the room now, did they? Be honest (if you can): you're smart enough to figure out that if you really wanted to "apologize", all you had to do was ask Scott for my e-mail address or phone number. I guess it's more fun to gossip about me with my ex-husband while my daughter watches. (Oh, and yes, my daughter and I ARE quite, how did you put it, "tight." What a strange question for you to ask her.)

When I come back to Indiana to see my friends, please don't worry about (or waste my time) apologizing to me. I haven't lost any sleep wondering if we'll ever smoke a peace pipe. In fact, other than the occasion when someone calls me or e-mails me to tell me about some ridiculous thing you've said or done, you don't even cross my mind. Quite frankly, I'm slightly annoyed that I have to take time out of my day and use up space on my blog in order to request that you to keep your goddamned mouth shut when my kids are around. If you want to apologize for that, feel free to leave a comment.

Or you could try this: grow up and get over it. Don't you have better things to do than wonder why someone who lives half-way across the country thinks you're a colossal joke? No amount of faux-sincerity will ever change that, Mel, because you show your hand with every card you play.

*edit for clarification due to comments below:

Melonie is not my kids' stepmom, and Scott is not my ex-husband. She was, however, trashing with my ex (maybe the only person in Bedford she could find that actually dislikes me) while my daughter was in the room. Why my ex chooses to associate with her, I have no idea, and could care less.

Melonie is a person from my past and is not related to me or my kids in any way shape or form. She is still friends with Scott, and again, that's his choice to make. I choose not to have her in my life because I think she's pathetic - but that's just me.