Thursday, March 31, 2005

"You Got What You Wanted. Are You Happy Now?"

Well, you're wrong on both accounts, not-so-gentle stranger screaming at me through my radio. This isn't what I wanted. I wanted Terri's wishes to be respected. I did not want her to die. Do you see the difference? It wasn't my choice, it was hers.

You tell me that in this country there is no reason for a person to die of starvation. I couldn't agree with you more, but I'm talking about anyone, not "someone"... I'm talking about children living in cars because their parents' jobs were outsourced, queers living on the streets because their parents decided to punish them for the very genetic makeup they passed along to them in the first place... I'm talking global, not political.

And yes, I think it's a damned shame that we live in a country that allows a woman to starve to death, but since euthanasia isn't legal, we didn't have any other way of carrying out her wishes. Did you think that one over, or were you too busy trying to carry water in to a woman who can't swallow it anyhow?

So I didn't get what I wanted. And I'm not happy. I grieve for those who loved her, mourn for those who never knew her and saw only a chance to further their cause.

Terri, God rest your soul.