Wednesday, April 12, 2006

An Unintended Consequence

When I stepped away from The Bar last month, it was an act of necessity. I knew the time spent blogging and such would be better spent with my family. I intended to spend more time with my family. I didn't intend for my blog to go downhill or anything like that. But guess what? I totally needed it to. What I mean by that is, when I started blogging, I did it to write and stuff like that. Then I got this mad-assed blogger-fame thing going on in my brain. My writing changed to fit my readership. If I wrote something that got LOTS of comments, I wrote more of that. If something got just a FEW comments, I wrote less of that in the future. I went out fishing for comments. I actively pursued a comment count that would top 20/post on a regular basis. When I surpassed that, I tried to scale down, but the counts kept climbing.

So at the time I bowed out for a bit, I was getting at least 30/day... and I felt it was only right to return the visit. So I'd write for awhile, then comment for the better part of each evening.

Tiring, right? Absolutely.

So for the last few weeks that I've stayed away from commenting, I've noticed my counts going back down. This makes me HAPPY! (What? Yes, happy.) You see, what I feel like I'll have when all is said and done, is maybe ten or fifteen good bloggy-friends that I share with on a regular basis, as opposed to a sea of strangers that only came around to get me to comment on their blogs. Ah, Nirvana.

You ten or fifteen are still coming around, and you've noticed that I've been back around to see you as well, haven't you?

The Unintended Consequence: I've left the Blogging for Popularity gig and gotten back to the basics. Damn it feels good to be me.

This is Funky, and that is all.