Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A Letter for Cadi

The worst thing about being a teenager is knowing that your parents have no clue what it's like to be a teenager. Oh sure, they "remember" their own teen years JUST enough to foil all your well-devised schemes, but they don't remember what it FELT like to love and hate your parents all at the same time. If they did, they wouldn't be so bitchy all the time.

The worst thing about being a parent is KNOWING exactly what it felt like when you hated and loved your own parents, and suffering when you see the eyes roll back and the arms fold in defiance. As a parent, you remember your own mistakes and you pray that your kids will not the same ones, never mind the fact that they are YOUR kids, and they didn't get their hormones from themselves.

I guess what I'm trying to say, Cadi, is that I both remember and have forgotten what it was like when I was your age. And as much as I know you, I don't know what it's like to be you. And I'm sorry I kept assuming your were a much younger version of me.

The other sucky thing about being a teenager is that everyone thinks they have to pass along their "wisdom" and advice. Knowing that, please forgive me for the list that follows:

Never let anyone steal your thunder. You were born to shine, Love, and no one deserves to hog your glory.

Also, never lose your joy. The greatest gift you have to offer is your smile and your laughter.

Remember to take your makeup off before you go to bed.

You live in a small town now, Honey. Everyone knows everything about everybody else's business. Don't give them anything to talk about. Make them work for a good rumor. Watch them scurry like chickens after a good rain. There's not much else to do there, so create your stage carefully, and direct each scene.

Remember always that you CAN. There is absolutely nothing you cannot do. You are brilliant and full of charisma. Anyone who fails to see that is simply beneath you. Do not shed one tear over a stupid person. The saline your body produces has a higher IQ than half that town.

Drink organic milk so the growth hormones from cow tits don't find their way into your system.

No boy, no man, is worth losing your self-esteem over. In ten years you won't even remember his last name. Same goes for girls, in case your so inclined.

I promise I won't let Jack eat your guinea pig.

It's perfectly okay to question your faith. Part of communication is asking the right questions. Part of faith is waiting for an answer.

Read books that make you happy. Listen to music that makes you dance. Never stop singing, never stop creating, never ever leave the lens cap on the camera.

Dog's never forget their masters. Winnie will remember you.

Remember that I love you, and that you will always have a home here with me. Cadi's room will always be Cadi's room, and I will always be your Mom. Or your Mommy. Or whatever.

This is Funky, and that is all.