Monday, September 11, 2006

Hijacked "Holiday"

I really admire those who were able to find a way to put their 9/11 memories into words. I'm still forming my thoughts, and it's almost 9/12.

There's the obligatory...
Where was I? I was in my home in Indiana and my best friend Jodi called me and told me to turn on the news. Then another friend called and told me to turn on the news. I don't remember anything more about that day other than I really wanted to get my kids out of school and back home to me.

There's the, observed it this way...
Well, you'd think seeing as I work in a fucking courthouse that there would have been at LEAST a moment of silence, but nooooooooooooooooooo... just a few posters in a corner of the lobby next to the broken ATM machine. There was narry a mention of the day. And believe me, at my job, what I wouldn't GIVE for a moment of silence now and then.

Then there's the, how do you feel today?
Honestly, this is the tricky one. I feel like all politicians (not just the side I disagree with) have hijacked this day and turned it into a politcal football. I tried to listen to the radio this morning, but it turned into a campaign speech in ten minutes or less. You know, I feel like this; regardless of who you want to blame, who orchestrated this and why, etcetera... people... real people with kids and dogs and dates and vacations fucking died just living the day like we did... only in another place. And it makes me so angry that I too have succumbed to the 9/11 mentality of Us versus Them. So mostly, I feel angry that I have forgotten how I felt in 2001.

And finally... thanks beyond words to those heroes... and the little heroes left to carry on without them.



This is Funky, and that is all.